Fisher's 475

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Dances with Wolves

Comment: It has been a little while since I saw this movie but I have seen it a number of times. I think the biggest point that the movie makes is that the roles of the Native Americans are shown in a different light than how it has been. The Sioux are shown as being somewhat compassionate but still in a strong and stiff manor. I think for most Americans this would have brought the strangest reaction in how they were not portrayed as the “evil bad guy” although the Pawnee still get that label. The Whites were invading Sioux territory and were only defending their lands. After all, they were here first and have had many interrelations with other natives on both the bad side and good. I think for me the portrayal of the Indians was one of the better ones for the time, however, now it wouldn’t be quite what I would like to see. Having studied a little of the Native Americans our take on the Indians is a bit off to say the least. It is nice to get the other side of the story now and then in movies but doing it in a politically correct manor is unnecessary. It should be told as it was not how we think it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home